For the latest view, please visit my Linked-In page
Experienced business leader in the constantly evolving area of telecommunications & digital transformation. Specialism in mobile networks and optical networking. Leading the technical business strategy at the greenfield independent, neutral data transport network services provider, ConnectiviTree. Recent work focuses on navigating the path to 5G introduction, the role of Private Cellular in industry and other business verticals and the integration with the Network and Customer Edge, from both the technology and business case aspect.
An experienced Operator and Vendor, strategic and business driven innovator.
KEY COMPETENCIES INCLUDE
Subject Matter Expert on 5G evolution | Senior Leadership | Business Transformation | Product Management | Thought Leadership | Instructor led/seminar-based training | Public Speaking
Employment History & Experience:
December 2022 – Present
CTO – ConnectiviTree (Europe) AG,
Responsible for Business & Network Technology Strategy at ConnectiviTree (CTree), an independent and neutral data transport network provider that has designed and is currently building a layer 1 and 2 fiber-based data transfer network solution for large Enterprise customers.
The ConnectiviTree network design and specifications will offer fast and secure data transport with capacities of up to 200 terabits between major cities, starting in Western Europe and is designed to be sold as NaaS, CaaS and SaaS (Network, Capacity and Spectrum as a Service) through our channel partners: Telecoms (Data Carrier), System Integrators and Data Center Operators.
ConnectiviTree’s network design, business model, and planned white label functionality, easy order and rapid provisioning creates a scalable and low-cost business opportunity for our channel partners to address the rapidly growing market for global transport of data for large Enterprise.
ConnectiviTree plans to connect over 250 Points of Presence within Europe and beyond by 2025 to help capture demonstrated demand
November 2019 – Present
Board Member – Tech London Advocates 5G Working Group
UK’s leading not for profit 5G group, involving relevant stakeholders to share latest knowledge, insights and to build a community around 5G and it’s impact.
Jan 2019 – December 2021
Head of Market Incubation & VP – Mobile Connectivity Solutions
Colt Technology Services
Leading a small dedicated team looking primarily at the wireless and cellular market developments and their impact on the network and the market. Developing new business opportunities and innovations within Colt.
November 2017 – December 2018
Snr Advisor – Product Line Management Cellular & Wireless Ciena Ltd
Bringing products to life in the Wireless/Cellular segment.
Director, Portfolio Strategy – Mobile – Ciena Ltd
Responsible for portfolio strategy in the wireless market segment at Ciena.
March 2015 – Dec 2016
Senior Manager, Engineering – Ciena Ltd.
Running a test & trial product engineering team for UK and European Customers.
August 2013 – April 2015.
Transmission Strategy & Architecture Manager – Three UK
Responsible for the future transmission network for Three UK.
November 2011 – January 2013.
Acting Head of Transmission Planning
Covered a 10 month maternity period for the Head of Transmission Planning, covering mobile network Transmission Planning & circuit provisioning. This role interfaces to B Level customer executives as well as the internal Directors and Head of Country. I lead a team of managers, technical leads & engineers both local onshore and remote offshored in India. I led the team through a period of transformation to multi-customer managed services environment.
August 2011 – August 2013
Transmission Planning Manager – Ericsson Ltd
Line manager of team of transmission planning engineers & solution architects.
- Successfully steered my region to deliver on all the 2012 targets.
- Reduction of operating costs through moving high volume tasks to other geographical regions of Ericsson.
- Regained profitability in Tx Planning managed services business through successful cost management.
- Tx Planning for EE 4G Launch.
May 2011 – August 2011
Acting National Backbone Transmission Design Manager – Ericsson Ltd
This was a 3 month secondment to provide line management for team of 9 engineers & architects.
October 2010 – September 2011
Senior Solutions Architect – Ericsson Ltd
Oversee the technical aspects of the IP Design Programme within the managed services of MBNL, JV between Everything Everywhere (Orange & TMUK) & H3G.
- Within the first two months of this role I had identified opportunities to provide additional managed service capability into the customer, resulting in the successful acquisition of 6 new projects for 2011.
- Through successful mentoring, 3 members of my team have received recognition awards for their project work.
- Introduction of 100G optical line rate onto the network.
December 2005 – October 2010
Senior Backbone Transmission Engineer – Ericsson Ltd
I provided technical leadership and optical transmission consultancy within projects for managed service partnerships withT-MobileUK, 3UK, MBNL & other customers in a multi-operator, multi –vendor network.
Key Achievements during this time:
- Technical lead for the introduction of Huawei CX600 X –Series Switch/Routers into the MBNL Mobile Backhaul facilitating the move to 3G IP RAN
- Design and technical lead of Optical Interconnect for MBNL (T-Mobile and 3UK) consolidated Radio Access Network, worlds first consolidated mobile network.
- Wrote the technical RFQ for Optical network swapout for leading mobile operator
- Introduced the first Huawei OSN6800 OTN network into aUKproduction network in 2009/10
September 2001 – December 2005
Backbone Transmission Engineer – Hutchison 3G UK – 3UK
Delivered the optical network for mobile operator Hutchison 3G enabling the deployment of theUK’s first 3G mobile network. During this time I produced Optical & Transmission designs for various aspects of the network, looked after the dimensioning, planning, type approval testing, implementation, contractor management and rollout associated with the optical backbone.
Key Achievements during this time:
- Introduced the first Nortel OME6500s into aUKproduction network in 2003/4
- Delivery of Backbone Transmission network forUK’s first 3G Operator.
- Design & implementation of the Transmission PSTN interconnect network for 3UK
- Defined Build & acceptance Standards for the transmission network for 3UK
January 1997 – August 2001
Senior Project Technician – NTL,
Snr Project Technician – Platform Deployment (Network Implementation)
Key achievements during this time:
- Project led the build and commissioning of the transmission backbone for ntl’s IP Supercore network enabling the successful delivery of the Supercore.
- Author of the Install and Commissioning Guide for Nortel Fibre Optic Build in the NTL Network.
- Successfully co-ordinated NTL Networks’ Network Engineering Year 2000 program earning company wide recognition.
January 1995 – January 1997
Voluntary Church service in Austria Personal Secretary/Teacher/Area leader
I made all accommodation and travel arrangements through outAustriaand selected locations inGermanyfor the church organisation. Religious/English Teacher to the public.
- Negotiated Rail Cards with the Austrian-Rail authorities for church charity facilitating a 50% reduction on rail and bus travel through-out the entire country for all workers in the charity.