For the latest view, please visit my Linked-In page
Experienced technical leader in the constantly evolving area of mobile networks and optical networking with in-depth experience of the managed service environment.
Part of the UK’s first 3G and 4G commercial rollouts. Now involved in the development path to 5G.
Instructor led and seminar based trainer. Presentation & conference speaker.
German language speaker.
Employment History & Experience:
November 2019 – Present
Board Member – Tech London Advocates 5G Working Group
UK’s leading not for profit 5G group, involving relevant stakeholders to share latest knowledge, insights and to build a community around 5G and it’s impact.
Jan 2019 – Present
Head of Market Incubation & VP – Mobile Connectivity Solutions
Colt Technology Services
Leading a small dedicated team looking primarily at the wireless and cellular market developments and their impact on the network and the market. Developing new business opportunities and innovations within Colt.
November 2017 – December 2018
Snr Advisor – Product Line Management Cellular & Wireless Ciena Ltd
Bringing products to life in the Wireless/Cellular segment.
Director, Portfolio Strategy – Mobile – Ciena Ltd
Responsible for portfolio strategy in the wireless market segment at Ciena.
March 2015 – Dec 2016
Senior Manager, Engineering – Ciena Ltd.
Running a test & trial product engineering team for UK and European Customers.
August 2013 – April 2015.
Transmission Strategy & Architecture Manager – Three UK
Responsible for the future transmission network for Three UK.
November 2011 – January 2013.
Acting Head of Transmission Planning
Covered a 10 month maternity period for the Head of Transmission Planning, covering mobile network Transmission Planning & circuit provisioning. This role interfaces to B Level customer executives as well as the internal Directors and Head of Country. I lead a team of managers, technical leads & engineers both local onshore and remote offshored in India. I led the team through a period of transformation to multi-customer managed services environment.
August 2011 – August 2013
Transmission Planning Manager – Ericsson Ltd
Line manager of team of transmission planning engineers & solution architects.
- Successfully steered my region to deliver on all the 2012 targets.
- Reduction of operating costs through moving high volume tasks to other geographical regions of Ericsson.
- Regained profitability in Tx Planning managed services business through successful cost management.
- Tx Planning for EE 4G Launch.
May 2011 – August 2011
Acting National Backbone Transmission Design Manager – Ericsson Ltd
This was a 3 month secondment to provide line management for team of 9 engineers & architects.
October 2010 – September 2011
Senior Solutions Architect – Ericsson Ltd
Oversee the technical aspects of the IP Design Programme within the managed services of MBNL, JV between Everything Everywhere (Orange & TMUK) & H3G.
Provide leadership and influence to shape the technical programme. Oft times I achieved this through negotiating technical settlements between stakeholders with conflicting priorities. This was a key part of my role in influencing continuing progress within the programme. I provided mentoring to the junior members of the team and interface to C-Level customer executives.
- Within the first two months of this role I had identified opportunities to provide additional managed service capability into the customer, resulting in the successful acquisition of 6 new projects for 2011.
- Through successful mentoring, 3 members of my team have received recognition awards for their project work.
- Introduction of 100G optical line rate onto the network.
December 2005 – October 2010
Senior Backbone Transmission Engineer – Ericsson Ltd
I provided technical leadership and optical transmission consultancy within projects for managed service partnerships withT-MobileUK, 3UK, MBNL & other customers in a multi-operator, multi –vendor network.
I created solution designs utilising multiple vendors, technologies & delivery mechanisms (self-provide, turnkey etc.) using the following equipment:
- Huawei CX600 – Xseries Switches/Routers
- Huawei OSN6800 OTN/DWDM
- Nortel/Ciena CPL/LH1600G DWDM
- Nortel/Ciena OME6500, OPTera DX & OPTera Metro
- Nortel MSS20000, 15000 & 7000 ATM switches
- Alcatel 1660,1670, 1641
Key Achievements during this time:
- Technical lead for the introduction of Huawei CX600 X –Series Switch/Routers into the MBNL Mobile Backhaul facilitating the move to 3G IP RAN
- Design and technical lead of Optical Interconnect for MBNL (T-Mobile and 3UK) consolidated Radio Access Network, worlds first consolidated mobile network.
- Wrote the technical RFQ for Optical network swapout for leading mobile operator
- Introduced the first Huawei OSN6800 OTN network into aUKproduction network in 2009/10
September 2001 – December 2005
Backbone Transmission Engineer – Hutchison 3G UK – 3UK
Delivered the optical network for mobile operator Hutchison 3G enabling the deployment of theUK’s first 3G mobile network. During this time I produced Optical & Transmission designs for various aspects of the network, looked after the dimensioning, planning, type approval testing, implementation, contractor management and rollout associated with the optical backbone.
Key Achievements during this time:
- Introduced the first Nortel OME6500s into aUKproduction network in 2003/4
- Delivery of Backbone Transmission network forUK’s first 3G Operator.
- Design & implementation of the Transmission PSTN interconnect network for 3UK
- Defined Build & acceptance Standards for the transmission network for 3UK
January 1997 – August 2001
Senior Project Technician – NTL,
Snr Project Technician – Platform Deployment (Network Implementation)
Team and Project leader responsible for installation and commissioning of SDH, DWDM and IP Optical National and Metropolitan networks for NTL’s core network including the use of submarine cable between Ireland and the UK.
Key achievements during this time:
- Project led the build and commissioning of the transmission backbone for ntl’s IP Supercore network enabling the successful delivery of the Supercore.
- Author of the Install and Commissioning Guide for Nortel Fibre Optic Build in the NTL Network.
- Successfully co-ordinated NTL Networks’ Network Engineering Year 2000 program earning company wide recognition.
January 1995 – January 1997
Voluntary Church service in Austria Personal Secretary/Teacher/Area leader
I made all accommodation and travel arrangements through outAustriaand selected locations inGermanyfor the church organisation. Religious/English Teacher to the public.
- Negotiated Rail Cards with the Austrian-Rail authorities for church charity facilitating a 50% reduction on rail and bus travel through-out the entire country for all workers in the charity.