One of my great joys is being out on a bike enjoying the open air. I began cycling again in 2014 as a way of getting fit to commute to work. This sparked a new passion for cycling. Since beginning with a commuter bike I have moved on to road, gravel and bike-packing and indulge in this passion with my wife and children.
Since getting back into the saddle I have been fortunate enough to take my bike with me in my business travels and have cycled in beautiful parts of the world. I have been able to combine my love of the mountains and passion for cycling by taking my bike out to some of the mountain ranges across the world. From the well known, such as the Alps or Pyrenees in Europe, the Rockies in the US & Canada to the more exotic such as Al Hajar range in the middle east. I enjoy the sense of exploring new areas that the bike enables unlike any other form of transport, whether that is a cityscape such as Mumbai, Delhi or London, or the peaceful tranquility of the mountains or forest, the bike enables new experiences.
Over the last few years I have participated in a number of mass participation cycling events or challenges. Some highlights include :
- Haute Route Alps – 7 stage cycling event from Nice to Geneva, that I rode in 2017 to raise money for Team Type 1 Foundation.
- The Colt Charity Multi-day Bike Rides raising money for Children’s charities across Europe:
- 2017 – Barcelona to Valencia
- 2018 – Milan to Rome
- 2019 – Munich to Vienna
- 2020 – Colt Virtual Charity Challenge
- The Mallorca 312 one day 312km ride around the island or Mallorca.
- The Vatternrunden – A one day 300km ride around Lake Vattern in southern Sweden.
- The Marmotte – a one day sportive across the climbs of Glandon, Galibier and Alpe D’Huez
- SuperGranfondo Galibier – Izoard
- Tour of Flanders Sportive – The one day mass participation event following the route of the pros across the cobbles of flanders
- Paris-Roubaix Sportive – The one day sportive that follows the pro route the day before the pros across the ardous cobbled streets of northern france.
- The King Alfreds Way – 350km off road bikepacking route from Winchester
In 2021 all being well, I will be riding the 2nd edition of the Atlas Mountain Race. A 1100km off road non-stop single stage race across the mountains in Morocco. Watch this space for updates.
Every now and again I post about cycling on the website, these posts can be found by searching #cycling